Monday, January 26, 2009

Paying the Price

My compiler translates input to a Graph Rewriting System expressed in C. I recently made a design decision to put everything except for the GRS, which means everything except for the treatment of literals, outside of the runtime.

This means that, for example, addition is handled through FFI. Of course, you pay a substantial performance price for that: Ackerman now runs in 5.6 seconds instead of, the best I got so far, around one second.

The benefit is that extending Hi programs with calls to, simple, C libraries now means nothing more than possibly introducing labels for types, and then calling the C libraries directly.

At some point, I might change it again, but I hope that I can optimize later by folding sequential specific calls w.r.t. predefined C libraries to specialized C code.

At this point, I can only hope that most programs don't resemble Ackerman.

No comments:

Post a Comment